Thursday, January 3, 2008

Pueblos of New Mexico

Over New Year I went with my wife and younger brother to New Mexico to visit and photograph the Pueblos. New mexico has 19 different pueblos all owned by different Native American Indian tribes. Many of them are still inhabited and have been for over a thousand years.

I took my Hasselblad 500c/m and my large format Shen Hao. Below are a few of the medium format shots I took.

San Lorenso De Picuris Pueblo - New Mexico - Brandon Allen
San Lorenso de Picuris Church. Hasselblad 500c/m - Ilford Delta 400

Abandoned Church at Santo Domingo Indian Reservation - Brandon Allen

It was forbiden to take photos or sketches of the Santo Domingo Pueblo. As we were leaving I noticed this old abandoned church. Hasselblad 500c/m - Ilford Delta 400

Taos Pueblo - New Mexico - Brandon Allen

The Taos Pueblo was one of the most impressive. It has been inhabited for over a thousand years and is truely a work of art. Hasselblad 500c/m - Ilford Delta 400

Remenants of the Taos Church and Indian Burial Grounds - New Mexico - Brandon Allen

This is all that remains of the first Taos church. It was destroyed by the Spanish while many men, women and children were seeking safety from within. Hasselblad 500c/m - Ilford Delta 400

Door at Taos Pueblo - New Mexico - Brandon Allen

I noticed this unique door at one of the small homes in the Taos Pueblo. I liked the hand prints and the American flag as a curtain. Hasselblad 500c/m - Ilford Delta 400

Cotton Wood Tree at San Ildefoso Pueblo - New Mexico - Brandon Allen

Huge Cotton Wood Tree in the San Ildefonso Pueblo - New Mexico. Hasselblad 500c/m - Ilford Delta 400

2 comments:

Maleen said...

Awesome pictures. I'm curious how they manage to enforce their rule about no photos or sketches of Santo Domingo. Do they have someone on guard 24/7? Does it have something to do with the place losing its soul? Or is that an old Indian myth?

Alida Thorpe said...

As someone who was there, I think your photos are wonderful. I like the b&w sepia treatment. Excellent work!